FISH FARMS OUT From First Nations’ Unceded Territorial Waters
Support the Observers!
In late August, First Nations people of the ‘Namgis, Mamalilikala, Lawit’sis and Musgamagw Dzawada’enuxw began observing two Marine Harvest salmon farms on Swanson and Midsummer Islands in their traditional Broughton Archipelago territories. Their actions sound alarms about:
• the collapse of the west coast wild salmon population
• governments’ inaction on the U.N. Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous People. They have never given their consent for these farms to operate in their territories. They are calling on governments not to renew Marine Harvest’s licenses.
• Swanson Observers: https://www.gofundme.com/maya-xalaxan-sawinakola\
• Cleansing Our Waters: https://donorbox.org/fish-farm-occupation-fund-1
• c/o Alexandra Morton: www.gofundme.com/last-stand-for-wild-salmon
TAKE ACTION !!
Call on Marine Harvest and governments to drop Marine Harvest’s application for injunction against the observers.
Call on provincial and federal governments to NOT renew Marine Harvest’s licenses on the contested farms. Sample letter
Do not buy farmed Atlantic salmon.
Who to contact:
• Hon. John Horgan: firstname.lastname@example.org (250) 387-1715
• Hon. Lana Popham,AGR.Minister@gov.bc.ca (250) 479-4154
• Hon. Dominic LeBlanc, Oceans, Fisheries & Coast Guard: email@example.com (613) 992-1020
• Ian Roberts, Marine Harvest: firstname.lastname@example.org (250) 850-3276
• Midsummer Island Observers: www.cleansingourwaters.com; www.facebook.com/fishfarmsgetout/
• Swanson Island Observers: www.facebook.com/kwakwabalas
• Alexandra Morton: www.facebook.com/alexandramorton.wildsalmon/
• Comox Valley Supports Cleansing Our Waters: www.facebook.com/groups/512585169103558/
• Comox Valley Council of Canadians: www.facebook.com/ComoxValleyCouncilofCanadians/