1. We protect Canada’s water and start with re-instating the water laws gutted by the Harper government.
2. We stop building pipelines and start to move away from our dependence on extreme energy, tar sands oil and fracking.
3. We tax corporations at the pre-Harper level and go after offshore tax havens. This would free up badly needed billions.
4. We stop equating corporate-dominated trade agreements with “openness to the world” and negotiate trade that serves the people.
5. We create a national pharmacare program (remembering that CETA and TPP would prevent this crucial next step in health for all).
6. We continue to build alliances with organized labour and support workers against globalization and unjust practices everywhere.
7. We recognize, honour and defend the leadership shown by First Nations in the fight for environmental and social justice.
8. We promise to protect the public trust and not allow public assets such as water services to be sold to the private sector.
9. We bring the rule of law to Canadian mining companies behaving terribly in some countries of the global South.
10. We remember in all our foreign policy that peace can only come if accompanied by justice. May we serve that goal always.
Maude Barlow – Chairperson, Council of Canadians